Recommended Reading

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Divine Healing - R A Torrey

Source : E W Kenyon And His Message Of Faith (Page 239)

Quoting R A Torrey:

As I sat there an impulse came to me to kneel and pray to God that He would heal the young man. I did this, and as I prayed a great assurance came into my heart that God had heard my prayer. I arose and said to the doctor, who was a backslider, "He will get well." The doctor smiled and replied, "Well, Mr Torrey, that is all very well from your standpoint, but he cannot get well. The crisis is past and has passed the wrong way, and he will die." I replied, "Doctor, that is all right from your standpoint, but God has heard my prayer. The man will not die, he cannot die at this time, he will get well."

A short time afterward they came up to tell me the young man was dying, that he was doing certain things that only one dying would do. I replied them, "He is not dying, he cannot die now, he will get well." And get well he did, and as far as I know is living still, though that was over forty years ago.

"Torrey expressed this belief in a positive confession, saying, "He will get well." This confession was based entirely on Torrey's assurance that God had heard his prayer, not on any change in the one who had received power. When the patient took a turn for the worse, Torrey was unmoved. In spite of the doctor's insistence that the man was dying, Torrey "held fast to the confession of his faith" and said the man would not, could not, die. This was based on the assurance that God had heard his prayer and nothing else.

This is faith in God...the assurance of being heard by God was considered more authoritative than the condition of the boy's body...he spoke what he believed in the face of contrary evidence. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks,' Jesus said in Matthew 12:34."

No comments:

Post a Comment