Recommended Reading

Monday, April 27, 2009

Penny Wise Pound Foolish?

I realize that I have in times of past given away my birthright as a born-again child of Almighty God for instant gratification of the flesh. By birthright, I am referring to the rich inheritance as joint-heir with our Lord Jesus Christ.

If not for the mercy of God, I would have continued in this trend and death would have ensued. For the wages of sin is death!

Truth is Satan is constant trying to seduce me to a relapse. Praise God for His Word that I can resist him and he will flee from me! James 4:7

I believe Abba has warned me in the Book of Genesis about this.

[Two] children struggled together within her..Genesis 25:22 :

I see this as describing two groups of believers growing and maturing in the church (the body of Christ).

When her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb. Genesis 25:25 :

All believers are born-again in the image of God. Since all bear the same image, all are therefore twins.

When the boys grew up, Esau was a cunning and skilled hunter, a man of outdoors; but Jacob was a plain and quiet man, dwelling in tents. Genesis 25:27 :

The word "Tent" reminds me of Psalm 27:5 - "For in the day of trouble He will hide me in His shelter; in the secret place of His tent will He hide me; He will set me high upon a rock". It seems to paint the picture of the two groups of believers:
1. Those who stay within the will of God but are perceived as plain and quiet;
2. Those who stay outside the will of God and are seen as cunning and skilled.

Jacob was boiling pottage (lentil stew) one day, when Esau came from the field and was faint [with hunger]. Genesis 25:29:

I perceive this as an illustration of God’s provision for those in His will in contrast to those without; those who toil and labor but yet still lack. It also brings to mind Psalm 23: 1 – “The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall not lack”.

And Esau said to Jacob, I beg of you, let me have some of that red lentil stew to eat, for I am faint and famished! That is why his name was called Edom [red]. Genesis 25:30. Jacob answered, Then sell me today your birthright (the rights of a firstborn). Genesis 25:31. Esau said, See here, I am at the point of death; what good can this birthright do me? Genesis 25:32:

I perceive this to be an illustration of how the two groups of believers view the value of the inheritance. Esau represents those outside God’s who will surrender the rich inheritance for instant gratification (as hunger symbolizes). The statement made by Esau in Geneses 25:32 supports the idea of Esau representing believers who are not staying within God’s will. Overwhelmed by circumstances, this group of believers loses sight of the prize.

Jacob represents the other group of believers who recognizes the immense value of that same inheritance.

No comments:

Post a Comment